Monday, February 25, 2008

Little piece of yummy home!

After looking around in the fridge on Saturday morning, I decided that we need few essential things to make it thru the week. So I decided to just run quickly to the neighborhood mom and pop grocery store called Seabra. I always get the flyer in the mail, and think "that's a good price" for whatever, but never really went.
The store looks exactly what you would expect. Nothing high end or fancy, with some brand names and lots of "unknown" brands as well (note: unknown brands do not bother me, lots of times, in my opinion, you get the same quality product even if it't not "barilla"). The biggest surprize in the store is that they have lots of imported foods! That is always exciting since I am always on the look out for Eastern European foods!

I went to the deli counter for some cold cuts for lunches and I saw this thing called "smoked pork ham". Now, it looks to me like half of the stuff at the deli counter are labled as "smoked ham", so i am always confused of what I should be getting. But this thing looked awefully a lot like this Romania cold cut meat called "muschi file". So I asked the lady behind the counter to let me taste a tiny slice. You can not imagine my surprise and delight (along with the poor woman's funny look at my "victory dance") when I realized that it tasted just like what "muschi file" does!

To better understand my excitement over a piece of ham, try imagining growing up with peanut butter and jelly and loving it. And then moving to a country where they have never heard of it! How would you feel if out of the blue you find a little store that sells it? Now granted, there are so many yummy foods here, but i still miss the cheese and the cold cuts meats from Romania. That's pretty much all I eat when I go home to visit.

Needless to say Alan and I ate a whole pound of that stuff (for bfast, lunch and dinner). I can't wait to go back this weekend to get more of it. Oh, and the other great thing is that they have lots of imported cheese too!

I have found my little piece of home heaven!

No comments: