Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Is it only my mom?

So, I love my mom. With all my heart. We have a great relationship. I grew up knowing that she is not only my mom, but also my friend and that I can tell her anything.

Then were is the problem you might wonder... I got married 6 years ago and moved away to another continent. Though I have been gone for all this time, in my mom's mind I am still 17 years old, not knowing what I am doing. Now, mind you, I am not old at all, I am only 30 years old, not that I know everything, but I think I managed to get a grasp of what I am doing. I don't know about you, but 90% of the time she does not listen to what I say. I would make my point and then she would continue the conversation as if I have never spoke! Details are really not important in regards to what our conversation was, though I will say it has to do with the baby! She drives me over the edge with no fail every single time.

I know she loves me, I know she raised me and she wants the best for me, but really why can't I be left to make my own stinking decisions and mistakes! While the saying "learn from other's mistakes" is cute, I really do not think it has life applications for me! I am all about being wise, but ultimately I really do not learn lessons unless I really make my own decisions and conclude that it was the wrong thing to do.

Is it only my mom, or yours are the same? God I hope I am not the only one in this situation!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I pretty much never take my mom's advice :-)

Mariuca said...

I wish it would actually only be advice, but mostly it's her telling me what to do and how to do it!

Mini said...

Remember, she is far away and this is her only way of being close to you. And, she's probably trying to impart some maternal wisdom now that you are having a baby. I told my mom once "i love you, but you raised me well and I can make my own decisions." She responded well to that.

Traci said...

Aw man. My mom is the same way. I find it best to tell her anything that is going to illict an unpleasant response, from my cell on the way into a tunnel. "What Ma, can't hear you..." Then by the time I resume the conversation - a couple of hours later (damn Boston traffic :-)) she has usually calmed down some. My advice: Call your mom upon entering Mansfield...