Friday, October 5, 2007

How do cats know?

We have 2 cats at home: Poomba and Timone (yes, I do like Lion King). Strangely enough, we gave them their own pretend voices and personalities, meaning that if I ask one of them a question, then my husband will respond with a certain voice and with a certain personality.
Funny enough, Poomba who is not a cuddly cat (he is not found of strangers trying to touch him, or even me trying to cuddle and kiss him), has a deep voice and in all "his" answers is a "smarty pants" cat. He always has something mean and obnoxious to say! Timone on the other hand, is really cuddly. Her voice is really high pitch (I do it a lot better than my husband) and she is always the nice one who admonishes Poomba for being a "smarty pants" fellow.
Yes, we know this is strange, but my friend K's cat, Pumpkin, blogs for her. So how much stranger are we?

The story is that Timone, knows the time! Don't ask me how, but every morning without fail, exactly at 5:40 am (when I get up), she comes to our door and starts miaouning and tries to jimmy the door! If we let her come in, then she starts butting heads, and purrs loudly. The problem is, while she can apearantly tell time, she can't tell the days of the week, so no matter if it's Monday or Saturday, she is at our door at 5:40 am. In her defense, I would probably not be able to tell one day from the other if all I did all day long was lounge around, eat and maybe chase some toys.

How does she know what time it is? What about when it's winter and it's darker out, or it's summer and it's lighter? I have no idea!

4 comments:

Mini said...

same way pumpkin yells when we get home late... they are psychic! No really, i read somewhere that they have internal clocks and are "pre-set" to feeding times. :)

Stacey said...

My cat is such a pig that her stomach dictates her life. No mystery with her--when she's hungry she screams about it.

Mariuca said...

God, I wish I could just solve it by leaving some food for them. But the problem is never the food (they do have plenty around), it's just that she wants to be played with...

Anonymous said...

People should read this.