Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I can't be Martha Stewart

Not that someone specific asked me to, but I realized that society kind of expects us, women to be a Martha Stewart type!

Why do I say this? Yesterday I was asked (again) at work what my plans are for coming back after maternity leave. No matter how many times I say that I don't want to do a full time job anymore, no one is listening (at least it feels that way!). In a way it feels good to know that people value what I do enough to want me back, but in another way it's annoying to have to say the same thing over and over again.

Walking to the train station last night, I realize that society expects you to be a superwoman: have kids (working thru the whole pregnancy), take care of them but still hold a full time job, cook and clean the house and in your spare time decorate and do arts and crafts just like Martha Stewart! Yeah, it all sounds wonderful on paper, but reality is different, at least for me. I can barely drag myself thru a whole day at work, and though I like to cook, there are days when I ask my husband to have cereals for dinner because I could not muster enough energy to even stick a frozen dinner in the microwave! And don't even get me started on cleaning the house. That is a lost battle already!

So, my decision, is to do what I can, when I can, and forget about what society says I should be doing as a mom/woman/wife!
Easier said than done!

2 comments:

Mini said...

martha stewart-- you are not her! you are mari! and you are great!

pressure to be "everything" means you and the world end up disappointed.

Mariuca said...

thank God I am not her, that would mean some jail time...:)