Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Something new each week!

Last night I have finally decided to clean my recipes drawer in the kitchen. I always cut things from magazine, print out from the Internet... but never get to try them and decide if they should be on my repertoire cycle or not.
Last night I was determined to try something new for dinner. And I found this new thing that Rachel Ray does on her show called "meals for a steal". Since our grocery bill is my new pet peeve, I am always on the look out for healthy, cheaper meals ideas. And this one is a winner and a keeper. It took less than 30 minutes to make and it was delicious. This is my slightly modified version of it, but if you want to make it just like RR you can find by going on the web of her day time show "The Rachel Ray show".

Chicken, chickpeas, curry bowls

Brown 1 lbs of ground chicken (I used turkey since that's what I had in my fridge).
Add 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced and let cook for 5 minutes.
Add 2 tablespoons of curry powder and let simmer for 1 minute
Drain 1 can of chickpeas and add to the meat.
Add 1 can drained diced tomatoes
Add 1 cup of plain yogurt (I did not use any since I had none, but honestly I can see how the yogurt would compliment this dish), salt and pepper to taste (note: curry powder might be a little spicy, so if you don't do spicy foods, skip the pepper)
Let everything simmer for couple of minutes and then add some chopped parsley (or cilantro if you prefer, I hate it so I replaced it!)

Boil some white or brown rice and serve the meat mixture on top of the rice. I used the boil in the bag brown rice and it was delicious!

As I try more and more recipes each week, I will try to post them here. Some healthy, cheap meal ideas never hurt anyone, right?

1 comment:

Mini said...

Yum... I am going to make this for dinner one night this week. Though, I'll probably use some sliced chicken breasts... yummo!