Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Another meal for a steal

I know, I already skipped a week in writing about my new culinary experiences, and I guess I have no other excuse but being beyond exhausted.
But here is what I tried this week on Monday and it was yummy and cheap to make.

Peanut butter LoMein noodles (makes enough for 4 servings)
3 - 4 palm size pieces of lean pork or beef cut in thin slices (if you freeze the meat for 5 minutes it makes it easier to cut it thin)
1 big carrot, julienned (cut in thin strips)
half a green or red pepper julienned
4 scallions julienned
1 can of mushrooms
1 cup of peanut butter (we liked the smooth one, but if you like some crunch to your food, by all means use the crunchy peanut butter)
1 box of whole wheat pasta (cooked and drained)

Cook the meat in a little bit of olive oil. Add the carrots, pepper and scallions and let them cook for a minute (we like a bit of crunch to our veggies so I don't let them go too far). Add the mushrooms, the peanut butter and a cup of water (the one you cooked the pasta in). Let simmer for a few minutes. Add pasta and stir well to coat all noodles with the sauce.
Serve and enjoy!

I liked it because it was quick, inexpensive and it tasted yummy. I get in the mood for some "Asian" inspired foods often and this one hit the spot!

No comments: