Sunday, August 23, 2009

Re-creating childhood

Growing up in a communist country, where "luxuries" such as fruit jams, tomato sauce and "zacusca" (a Romanian vegetable spread) were hard to come by in the store (not could the regular Romanian afford spending money on such a thing), my mom and grandma always made all those at home. And I have to admit they were sooo much better than anything you could find at the store. And I am pretty sure that was the truth and not some sort of idealized childhood memory of mine.
So this fall (I know I can't believe I am already talking about the fall as we had no real summer, but none the less fall is fast approaching!), I decided to just go back to the simpler things and make some goodies myself.
For the following few weeks I will be on the hunt for some great farmer's market fruits and veggies along with some receptacles to store the creations. I figured that not only will I get to remember some great times from my childhood when the house was filled with the sweet aroma of peaches and plums and sugary syrup, but also create some memories for Chloe!
I have all the good intentions of taking pictures and blogging about it, but don't hold your breath about it. Life really does get insane when you try to juggle so many things at once (anyone there can understand what I am talking about? :) And who knows what Santa might bring into your gift basket this year?

No comments: